Saturday, August 16, 2008

There's a way

There's always a way, no matter how terrible your situation is. Like for me. I know that I can never be up to standard to famous poets like, my favourite, but his race is my rival(they always roast me and think it is GOOD...) Yes. He is non other that Li Bai. His inspirations were from, what all chinese love, the moon, wine and water(lakes, rivers, etc)... Because of his tombstone(plus his death) a new chinese saying was invented (Ban men nong fu, which is saying to show off one's not-so-great talent before an EXPERT.



The story goes like this :

When Li Bai passed away, due to him getting drunk after writing his poem and thinking the reflection of the moon on the lake surface was a second moon, he jumped in and drowned. Many people visited his tombstone and most of them were poets. They carved their poems on his tombstone. But to carve their poems on an expert's tombstone was as good as writing the poems before an expert(like showing off). One day, a young poet visited his tombstone to pay his respects. When he saw the carvings on the tombstone, he carved these words :

(translated in English) Carving on This great poet's (Li Bai)tombstone is like making an axe before Lu Ban's(famous axe-maker) door.

And that is how : Ban (Lu 'BAN') Men (door) Nong(make) Fu(axe) came about!



Don't you see? this is how poets affect the world. I wish to be one too. I BELIEVE there is a way, and so should you.



So, I guess you now know why China had such a long history. And rich culture(hope you watched the Beijing Olympics Opening)...





FRIEND


A rose will soon whither,
but if you let it dry upside down,
it will last for long,
There is a way.

The sun will set,
leaving the world in darkness,
but the moon will light the night sky,
There is a way.


An apple will fall off its tree,
but it will fall onto the ground,
and grow big into a tree,
There is a way.


What if there is no way,
there is no hope for me.
I can stand alone,
or find a friend to help me.

No comments: